For the filling:
· 150g peas (frozen)
· 1/2 a small red onion (chopped)
· 1 tbsp butter
· 2 large tsp sweet chilli sauce (smoked salmon)
For the sushi rice:
· 100g sushi rice
· 132ml water
· 0.6 tbsp rice vinegar
· 0.4 tbsp sugar
For the pea and wasabi dip:
· Leftover pea filling
· 1/4 tsp wasabi
· 1 tbsp greek yogurt
For the sauce:
· 2 tbsp soy sauce
· 1/2 tsp wasabi
· 1/4 tsp olive oil
· 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
1. Rinse the rice to wash away the starch, then put it in a deep saucepan with the water. Put its lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a steady simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Leave to stand for 20-30 minutes whilst its standing, add in all the other ingredients.
3. Whilst you are letting the rice sit, melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
4. Chop your onion and fry it off with the melted butter. Once the onion is soft, add in your peas and sweet chilli sauce.
5. Cook until the peas are just cooked (10 minutes) and still sweet. Take the pan off the heat and use a soup blender and blend the peas until quite thick but relatively smooth.
TIP: add a tbsp of water before you blend the peas for a better consistency.
6. Lay out your sushi (nori) on a sushi rolling mat - making sure the sushi is horizontal (if a rectangle).
7. Put some cold water in a bowl (to help spread the rice) and stir your rice a bit, trying not to crush the grains.
8. Get a tbsp and place spoonfuls of rice onto your sushi.
9. Depending on the size of the sushi, leave about 2 inches free of rice from the top.
10. Cut the rest away. Personally, I do this so there is no overlap in the structure of the sushi.
11. Make a very thin layer of rice otherwise it will be too big because of the added layer of smoked salmon.
12. Then, lay over thin slices of smoked salmon, and press a bit into the rice.
13. Brush over lemon juice, and season with pepper.
14. Along the middle, put a line of your pea filling, about 2cm wide and 2cm up.
15. Using your mat, roll the sushi over the pea filling and press firmly to help make a tight roll.
16. Carry on rolling until the sushi free of rice has sealed the roll.
17. Roll it over a few more times to seal the roll.
18. Using a very sharp knife, cut the sushi into even slices.
To do this you can cut it into half, then half again, then half again. Keep the blade of the knife wet in between each cut, to keep it clean and for a better cut. Do this before the first cut as well.
19. Repeat these instructions with the rest of your ingredients to make the second sushi roll, but don't just cram in all the leftovers because then the roll will not work and remember to keep some of the pea filling for the dip.
For the pea dip:
1. Combine the rest of the pea filling with the wasabi and Greek yogurt.
2. Blend again with the blender, and you can adjust the taste to what you want.
For the sauce:
1. Combine all the ingredients and stir.
2. Present the dish how you want.